Wednesday 21 January 2015

DIY Inspiration Board

Hello again lovelies!
I'm super excited for this post because I have been working on this for a while. I decided that I needed to update my room a little bit without making any drastic changes so this was great. I was inspired by different photo wall images I found on Pinterest but didn't want to risk ruining my walls with heaps of tape and/or blue tack so I decided to do an inspiration board. I hope you enjoy this post and maybe try one yourself.  


You will need:

  • a pinboard
  • paint (I used the paint we used on our walls when we moved but other paint will also work)
  • painters tape
  • paintbrushes
  • pictures (I found mine on Pinterest but you can use any)
  • pins


*If your board already has borders in the colour you want skip to step 4*


Step 1: 
Lay your pinboard down in a large area where you can also use paint without getting in trouble if you make a mess. Carefully use the painters tape around the edges to prevent getting paint on the actual board. Mine moved around slightly so I found it impossible to completely avoid getting paint on the board but this may not be case with yours.


Step 2: (skip this step if you are not using wall paint)
Apply a thin layer of paint primer on the frame of your board. Make sure to get around the edges and also on the inside edges. Essentially, if you are going to paint there, apply this first.


Step 3:
Apply two thin layers of the paint of your choice around the frame of the board. It's possible that you may need more layers depending on the type of paint you use. If the paint is still too thin after two layers just add more layers as opposed to making it thicker because this will take too long to dry.


Step 4: 
Print off and cut out the pictures that you want on your board. You could also just use all your own artwork or anything really. I have even seen people loop necklaces over the pins. After you have all your pictures cut out work on laying them out on your board. This will take time, trust me. It took multiple tries before all my pictures fit nicely on the board with minimal gaps. I even had to print off some more pictures to make everything look good. Be careful not to do this anywhere with a breeze because you don't want all your work to just blow away. Nope that would be bad. 


Step 5: 
Once you have all your pictures laid out in a format that you like, you can start pinning! Where possible, try to pin two pictures with one pin by overlapping corners. Be careful as some pins are quite long and will stick out the back of the board and maybe even go out past the frame.


The final product! Best thing about this is that the pictures can be changed really easily so you can change it around whenever you like. After this the only thing left to do is hang it up and admire your new inspiration board. Of course, you don't have to hang it, you could just stand it up on a shelf or your desk or anywhere really. 


So I hope you enjoyed this post. It was super fun to create and write.
Until next time
Emma xx

No comments:

Post a Comment